Sunday 30 October 2016

Tax Rebates

Throughout my working life, when it came time to fill out our tax returns, most of us could manage a rebate of only a few hundred dollars, but there would always be someone boasting about a rebate of two or three thousand dollars.

"What are you claiming on?" I would ask.
"Overalls for a start."
"What else?"
"Work boots."
"That's about $4.50 in rebates so far. What else?"
"Oh heaps of stuff."
"What sort of stuff?"
"All sorts."

And it would be about now that my workmate would decide I wasn't quite the sort of company he was looking for after all; and he would head down to the other end of the lunch room and talk to someone who was little less inquisitive.

During a working life of fifty years, I probably had that conversation about forty times - almost always with those exact words in that precise order. Lying factory workers don't have much imagination.




No comments:

Post a Comment