Wednesday 21 September 2016

You Think I Don't Know A Euro When I See One

Everybody knows what a kangaroo looks like, but the macropod family is much larger than that. It includes kangaroos, wallaroos, euros, pademelons and wallabies.

Many years ago I worked on a "road maintenance gang" - a fancy name for the guys who fix potholes. We were driving along the highway in our truck, miles from anywhere, and off in the distance we could see four animals silhouetted against the skyline.

"Euros" said the guy sitting next me.

I was amused at how emphatically he made the claim. "How do you know they're not kangaroos?" I asked him.

He was highly offended. "You think I don't know a Euro when I see one..."

We kept on driving and eventually we got close enough to see the animals more clearly - four horses! 

I put on the smuggest grin I could muster and glanced across at my buddy, but he was looking out the side window and didn't seem at all interested in engaging in conversation with me.




No comments:

Post a Comment