Tuesday 28 July 2015

Christian Privilege

A Christian named Jason wrote this article in March 2015.

It’s an Unfair World

The world is unfair. Let’s face it.

Some of us are born ugly, while others are so beautiful. Some of us are unintelligent, while others are so smart. And that’s not even considering people who are born with handicaps.

But what I want to talk about is religious unfairness. Because it’s just as real as all the other unfairness in the world. I’m a Christian. I’ve had time to look at what the other major religions of the world teach, and I conclude that Christianity is the truth. I was born into a Christian home. That’s clearly not fair (from my perspective) to all the people born into religious homes other than Christianity. They were born into a home that raised them to believe a lie. Their mother and father told them it was the truth. They believed it since they were children.

And now, (from my perspective), in order for them to be saved, they must reject what they’ve been raised to believe, and embrace Jesus Christ. They must tell their family they are part of a different religion. They must part ways with all the ideas they were trained to hold onto.

But not me. I was raised a Christian. What my parents told me was the truth. Everything I was taught to believe is right. That’s not fair to everyone who was born into a family that taught them a false religion.

Sure, I can try to help them. I can tell people I meet about Jesus. But they have to change their entire belief system to be saved. I don’t.

Why would God make the world that way? So unfair? I believe God didn’t make it that way, we did. When humanity sinned in the persons of Adam and Eve, we made the world evil and unfair. Now God is trying to save us all out of this unfair world. He’s trying to bring us to heaven, where everything is fair, where sin does not exist.

But God is saving us out of the world we made for ourselves, the unfair world.


If you are a Christian you probably can't see anything wrong with the ideas expressed by Jason so let me put it into another context for you:

I’m a white supremacist. I’ve had time to look at the other races of the world and I conclude that white people are the best. I was born into a racist home. That’s clearly not fair to all the people born into homes belonging to other races. They were born into a home that raised them to believe they were equal with white people like me. Their mother and father told them it was the truth. They believed it since they were children.

And now, in order for them to find the real truth, they must reject what they’ve been raised to believe, and accept that white people are more important than they are. They must tell their family they are inferior to white people. They must part ways with all the ideas they were trained to hold onto.

But not me. I was raised a white racist. What my parents told me was the truth. Everything I was taught to believe is right. That’s not fair to everyone who was born into a family that incorrectly taught that all men are equal.

Sure, I can try to help them. I can tell people I meet about the beauty of a racist society. But they have to change their entire belief system to understand the truth of the matter. I don’t.

Still don't get it? There's your Christian privilege...

----- ----- -----



It looks like Jason set up his "C. S. Lewis" blog in March 2015 and in April 2015 he set up a duplicate blog named "Pauline Puritan". I have taken screen shots of both blogs (see below).

The C.S. Lewis blog contains the article titled "It's An Unfair World" but it has been deleted from the Pauline Puritan blog. Just in case It gets deleted from the C.S. Lewis blog here is a link to a copy held in the Google Cache:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:R80_IWRoHj4J:https://cslewisdebates.wordpress.com/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=au













No comments:

Post a Comment