Wednesday 19 April 2017

A Surprise Telephone Call

I just had a telephone call from a Christian who wanted to talk to me about the role god plays in my life. This is the first time I've had a proselytiser call me on the telephone so I am posting the basic gist of our conversation here while it is still fresh in my mind (and before I forget it).

I can't remember how he started the conversation, but I quickly interrupted him to ask which god he was talking about. He said it was Yahweh, the god of the bible.

So then I asked him to describe his god otherwise I wouldn't know what we were talking about.

He said things like god is perfect, righteous, just, kind, loving, etcetera.

I said that was interesting but how would I recognise god if I saw him.

The Christian said it doesn't work that way. He said god is invisible.

I pointed out that god "spoke to Moses face to face as a man speaks to his friend". [Exodus 33:11]

I forget exactly what the Christian said but it was something about the bible having many things to say and it is unfair to pick out just one verse at a time.

I pointed out he had done exactly the same thing to me - quoted a single verse that says god is invisible!

Then I told him I wasn't relying on just one verse because Jacob had also said, "I have seen god face to face and my life is preserved."

I got the impression from his tone of voice that he thought I was making it up and he tried to call my bluff by asking where that text appears in the bible - book, chapter, and verse.

I told him I didn't know for sure but suggested he could find it easily enough. "Have you got a Concordance," I asked him.

There was a short hesitation and then a very cautious, "yes." (I don't think he knew what a Concordance was.)

So I told him to look up the word "Jacob" and that would take him directly to the verse.

But he never did find it - so I found it for him [Genesis 32:30] - because I actually have a Concordance.

Again I've forgotten his exact words, but he started pushing the idea that I had taken the verse out of context.

That's the thing that really irks me about Christians: this guy had obviously never heard about Jacob seeing god face to face until I mentioned it, and now, just a few seconds later, he was trying to tell me that I had it wrong and he knew what it really meant!

As it happens he never did get around to explaining the context and the conversation ended not long afterwards.


No comments:

Post a Comment