Monday 8 February 2016

New Hampshire Debate

US Presidential candidates speaking at New Hampshire in 2016: 
Water-boarding is not torture it is enhanced interrogation
(Ted Cruz) 

I'd bring back a helluva lot worse than water-boarding
(Donald Trump)
The thing that gets me is the casual way they talk about torturing people. I can't ever remember hearing politicians coming out with such messages before: "Vote for me and I will torture the people you don't like."

In effect Cruz says "I think it's OK to torture our enemies, so vote for me," and Trump says, "I'll torture them more painfully than Cruz will, so vote for me."

And the voters cheer!


Update (March 4th, 2016):
Even President Donald J. Trump would follow the law. That was Mr. Trump’s acknowledgement on Friday, when he reversed course on his vow to kill the families of terrorists and to torture terrorism suspects if he is elected president, saying he now recognized that such actions would violate international law. 
http://www.nytimes.com/politics/first-draft/2016/03/04/
 
 
Update (March 5th, 2016):
Trump once again opened the door to ordering the torture of captured suspected terrorists, just one day after vowing that he would not order military officials to violate U.S. or international laws. "We're going to stay within the laws. But you know what we're going to do? We're going to have those laws broadened..."
http://www.wdsu.com/politics/




No comments:

Post a Comment