Wednesday 6 August 2014

Proof of God

What evidence would it take for me to believe that god exists?

I wouldn't accept a miracle as evidence because, no matter how spectacular it may be, I would just assume that I was hallucinating. I would never regard it as a miracle performed by god.

So what would convince me that god exists?

I'd start with the Millennium Prize Problems of the Clay Mathematics Institute. If some character told me he was god, I would ask him for solutions to the problems and if the mathematicians were able to verify those solutions - well we could move on to the next test.

The beauty of my plan is that there is no need for value judgements. In the case of a miracle, even if it really was a miracle, we could still argue about what happened, how it happened, and who caused it to happen, but solutions to the Millennium Prize Problems can be verified by mathematicians. And if they were verified, there would be no doubt that this god character had done something rather special and we could move on to the next test...

"Ah ha!" says the Christian, "You are asking too much because we are not permitted to test god." 

You shall not put the Lord your God to the test, as you tested him at Massah (Deuteronomy 6:16) 
Ahaz said, "I will not ask, and I will not put the Lord to the test." (Isaiah 7:12)

I don't put much store in what the bible says, of course, but let's play along and see what happens:

Firstly, it should be noticed that Deuteronomy is referring to a specific situation - don't test god as you did at Massah - which leaves the way open to test god in other situations that are not the same as they were at Massah. And secondly, Ahaz made a personal decision not to test god, but his decision does not prevent anyone else from putting god to the test.

Furthermore, in other parts of the bible it is made clear that god is amenable to testing. When he was talking about the tithe payments he actually asked his followers to "Test me in this." (Malachi 3:10) And Saint Paul himself gives instructions so that "you will be able to test and approve what God's will is" (Romans 12:2)

So what would be god's next test after solving the Millennium Prize Problems? I'd ask him to write down the password to this blog - or maybe the pin number to my bank account.

I'll bet he won't even get close!



No comments:

Post a Comment